Following the military coup in Myanmar, police charged ousted leader Aung San Suu Kyi with illegally importing communications equipment.

According to the reports, she will be detained until February 15 for questioning.

Police presented details of the charges against 75-year-old Aung San Suu Kyi to the court, saying a search of her home in the capital turned up six walkie-talkies.

They told the court that the radios were illegally imported and used without permission.

The documents “requested Aung San Suu Kyi’s detention” for further questioning of witnesses and Aung San Suu Kyi.

According to a separate document, police have charged former President One Mint with violating protocol that led to the spread of the coronavirus during the election campaign last November.

Reuters did not respond to a request for comment from the police, the government or the court.

Charles Santiago, a member of parliament for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), said the new allegations were ridiculous.

“It is a ridiculous move by the people to try to legitimize their illegal seizure of power,” he said in a statement.

In Myanmar, the military seized power on the morning of February 1 in a coup against the democratically elected government and detained Aung San Suu Kyi and other leaders of her party, the National League for Democracy (NLD).

The military said in a statement on a military-owned TV station that it had taken “detentions” in response to election fraud in which military chief Min Aung Hlaing was given power and a one-year state of emergency was declared.

The NLD won the election in November last year, which was seen as a referendum on Aung San Suu Kyi’s democratic government.

The rebellion came after days of escalating tensions between the civilian government and the military, which had raised fears of an uprising following the election.

Political tensions escalated last week when a military spokesman refused to rule out a coup before a new parliament convened, and military chief Man Aung Hlaing raised the possibility of the constitution being scrapped.

However, the military said in a statement on social media over the weekend that it would “make every effort to adhere to the democratic principles of free and fair elections.”

Earlier, tanks were deployed in some streets and there were demonstrations in support of the army in some cities before the first session of parliament, but Myanmar’s election commission has denied the army’s allegations of vote-rigging.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here